For a delicious meal we love to make dumplings with the entire family. When folding wonton style dumplings we are able to relax and spend a pleasurable moment with the kids, the parents, friends, the grandparents… basically, everyone together!
Dumplings are very easy to make and it’s also possible to add a personal touch to each recipe. You can stuff dumplings with a variety of interesting ingredients. Whether sweet or salty, Chinese, Mexican or Italian, the possibilites are infinite.
Last weekend, we prepared “Hagao” or “Har gao” shrimp dumplings. In order to save some time, I made the shrimp stuffing or farce in advance. With the filling ready to go, we spent a special moment together folding our delicious dumplings with the kids. All of the ingredients were purchased in Chinatown in the Paris Belleville neighbourhood. If you happen to be in Paris, you can find all of the ingredients in the local Asian supermarket chains such as Tang Frères or Paris Store.
- 450g of fresh or unfrozen shrimp
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil (or a neutral vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 can or 70g of water chestnuts
- 2 stalks of green onions or chives
- 1 minced garlic head
- 1 tablespoon of fresh minced ginger
- 1 pack of wonton skins
- a bowl of water
For the shrimp Ha Gau filling (this makes approximately 24 – 30 dumplings)
1. Peel and devein the shrimp.
2. Add the raw shrimp and all other ingredients (except the wonton skins) into a mixer. You can also finely chop up all ingredients with a knife.
3. Add a spoonful of stuffing into the center of the wonton skin.
4. Fold each dumpling as shown in the video below. Use water to seal the edges of each dumpling.
We steamed our dumplings in a wooden basket. You can also cook the dumplings in boiling water and drain them when cooked.
Dipping the dumplings into a small bowl of soy sauce mixed with sesame oil makes them even more delicious. Bon appétit ! 🙂
This post is also available in: French